Not sure how to change feedback on eBay, or even if it’s possible? You’ve come to the right place. Let’s get straight to the answers.
Last updated 5/25/2018.
Buyers: Can I Change eBay Feedback I’ve Left?
Yes, but only if the seller asks you to. Otherwise, you’ll see a message saying “None of your Feedback is eligible for revision.” You can also only revise feedback to be better—you can’t change positive or neutral to negative.
How to Change Feedback on eBay As a Buyer
- Message the seller and ask for a chance to change your feedback. If you’re offering to change negative feedback to positive, you can be pretty sure they’ll say yes!
- You should receive an email with a request to change your feedback. Click “Accept request.”
- You’ll then get the option to select your new feedback rating and enter a new comment.
Need more help? Read the official instructions on eBay.
Sellers: Can I Change Feedback a Buyer Has Left for Me?
No. However, you can ask the buyer to change their feedback. You can also ask eBay to remove unfair feedback in some cases.
How to Ask a Buyer to Change Their Feedback
- Log in to your eBay account.
- Visit https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReviseFeedbackMessage&msg=1
- Check off the box next to the feedback you want the buyer to revise, then select or type in the reason why you’re asking the buyer to change it.
eBay's official instructions are available here.
Are There Any Important Rules I Should Know?
Although these details seem to have disappeared from the U.S. site and may no longer apply there, eBay UK lists the following rules:
- You must make your request within the first 30 days after the buyer leaves feedback.
- Once you ask them to change it, they only have 10 days to make the revision. eBay will send them a reminder if they don’t accept or decline the request within one week.
- You only get to make one request per feedback. You can’t send the buyer a second request if they ignore you the first time.
- You only get five feedback revision requests per year, or per 1,000 feedback received, so use them carefully!
Five Requests Isn’t Much! How Else Can I Deal with Negative Feedback?
eBay only gives you five revision requests per 1,000 feedback because they want you to provide an awesome customer experience at least 99.5% of the time.
Sound impossible? It really isn’t—especially if you connect a helpdesk to eBay to make customer support way easier.
How to Ask eBay to Remove Negative Feedback
There are a few situations when you can appeal to eBay to have negative feedback reviewed by their staff and removed:
- You uploaded tracking data that proves you shipped the item on time or that it was delivered on time (or delivery was attempted but nobody was available to sign), but the tracking data failed to display properly on eBay.
- The comment contained inappropriate content, such as offensive language or personally identifiable information. (In this case, only the comment will be removed, not the feedback.)
- Potentially, other situations where the feedback is completely false and proven to be so by hard evidence.
You can read these requirements here. If it’s been two days and eBay hasn’t automatically removed the feedback, you can contact eBay and request assistance here. Note that you must make the request within 90 days of receiving the feedback.
An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound of Cure
Sometimes, the best way to respond to negative eBay feedback is by asking buyers—or sometimes even eBay—to change or remove it. But often, it’s better to focus on improving your customer service so it doesn’t happen again. Learn how ChannelReply can make all the difference.